Handling Gym Anxiety & Intimidation

We've all felt it...

That feeling of setting foot in the gym for the first time, being watched and sized-up by people who are acting like they were born there and have lived there for their whole lives. Well, this is a slight exaggeration. Whilst a small minority of people may be judging gym newcomers, no one else really cares so most of the time our feelings of intimidation and gym anxiety are self-generated. 

I am struggling to put this in a really polite way for you guys. 

No one actually gives a sh*t about what you are doing! 

Everyone is going to the gym to focus on their own goals and get their own results. They are 98% too immersed in their own workouts to really notice and care what you are doing in your workout. So you should go into the gym and do the exact same! 


I think it would be really cruel for me to sit here and say anxiety isn't real and prevalent when starting to go to a gym or sports club. It is something that has previously held me back and made me feel really unsettled in the gym, especially as a girl and wanting to go into the weights section. It sometimes can't be helped getting incredibly anxious. The first thing that often comes into gym newbies' heads when they think about starting the gym is walking into a room with a load of fitness freaks, muscle-y macho men and pristine, toned and tanned ladies. But it's important that you walk into the gym and just see everyone as equal humans trying to get the best results they can. They are just like you. 

I always thought the worst when I started going to the gym more regularly and always made sure I was avoiding making a complete spectacle of myself because in all honesty I had no idea what I was doing. The first time I felt REALLY anxious was when I had my first White Collar Boxing session. We all met at this park and were told we had to run around the park twice. The coaches at the time seemed scary enough but the thought of showing how unfit I was to an additional 60+ really athletic-looking people was overwhelming. But in the end everything was fine because I didn't overthink it and just went there to focus on my own goals and get it done. And I'm certain everyone else was in the same boat but thought the exact same thing! 

 I think I have definitely had an advantage because I've been going to boxing gyms. In my current gym I am one of the only women and the small group of us are completely outnumbered by the men. But we have no time to feel intimidated. We go there to learn how to be good boxers. And all of the men that we train with are so supportive and helpful without being patronising or derogatory. 

 When you go to the gym, people are not out to get you. You may feel, especially as a newcomer, that you are being watched and scrutinised. People are watching you in the gym because either;

1. They've never seen you in the gym before and are just interested to see who's walking through the door- Honestly, they might just be waiting for a training partner, PT or someone to walk through the door. They've turned to see you walk in and thought 'oh, not seen him/her before. Interesting.'. But other than that they really aren't phased.

2. They're checking you out-I think this one speaks for itself really

3. You've given them an idea- I'm usually looking at people in the gym to get ideas and inspiration for my next workout, and a lot of other people do this as well. You are probably being glanced at because someone has never seen the exercise you are doing before, or they have seen the exercise but you are doing it differently to how they usually do it because you're targeting a different muscle group, etc. There are 100's of different exercises that can be done in the gym and multiple variations of each exercise. People are always looking to change up their workout and you've probably just inspired them with something new.

4. They're gawping at nothing because they're exhausted from their workout and you just happen to be in their view- I'm always just blankly gawping when I'm knackered at the gym at nothing and sometimes people are unfortunately in my line of vision. Unfortunately for them that is, because no one wants to be smeared at by a sweaty Liv. 


If you are doing something wrong or dangerous then of course a trainer may approach you and support you in altering your positioning or whatever it is you need help with. It's very rare that someone is actually going to approach you and tell you you are doing something wrong or give you grief for something. Unless they are a PT or gym staff member guiding you diplomatically, then I give you permission to punch them in the nose or something. Because no one has time for that. That is if they are scrutinising you for no reason, anyway. Some people are nice and will sometimes try and offer help and suggestions. Accept them, it's just a kind gesture. 

 If you're already at the gym and get feelings of anxiety and intimidation, as I've said earlier, it's not going to disappear. But it can be helped gradually. I'm not saying it can be cured. I have general anxiety disorder myself and know how hard it can be. But set yourself challenges. Don't continuously stay in your comfort zone because otherwise you won't be able to get over these fears and ultimately, you won't be able to achieve your goals. If you need to use the barbells but are too scared to go in the weight zones because of scary Stretch Armstrong and Jodie Marsh look-a-likes, you won't be able to use that piece of equipment and then you won't be able to do the exercises you want to do to get the outcomes you have planned. Challenge yourself to use one piece of equipment for one set in an area that makes you uncomfortable. Get used to it. Then it will be two sets. Then a quarter of your workout. Then half of your workout. Then maybe even all of your workout. Don't just throw yourself into the deep end because you will scare yourself off. 

 Confidence doesn't grow overnight, but it can be developed by gradually pulling yourself out of your comfort zone. Stay calm. Believe in yourself and you will get there and overcome your anxieties. Think of the end product and it will all be worth it, I promise! 


------------------

Thank you so much for reading this post! I hope you stick around for more and get some motivation out of this blog. Make sure to follow now so you don't miss a thing and I will be writing the next post as you read this, so keep your eyes peeled!  

Comments

Popular Posts